FAQS Water

FAQS – Water Certificates of Compliance

Do blocked pipes and drains form part of the Compliance requirements?

  • No, this is considered to be general maintenance.

Is low water pressure and discolouration of water part of the Compliance requirements?

  • No, this is considered to be general maintenance.

What if there are no hot or cold outlets in a room, and only cold water supply

  • Adding a hot water supply is considered as an upgrade and not a compliance matter.

What if the fittings in my shower leak?

  • If there is no leaking when all taps/outlets are in the OFF position, but when opened there is leaking, it is considered maintenance.

Is my irrigation system covered by the Water inspection for Compliance?

  • No. As for other fittings, if there is no leaking when the system is in the OFF position, it is considered maintenance.

If my plumbing fixtures are old, discoloured or in a state of disrepair, are they required to be replaced for compliance?

  • If they are tested and do not leak in any way and if water wastage is not an issue then they comply and do not require replacement.

Does the certificate guarantee the installation?

  • No, you as the Homeowner are responsible for normal maintenance. Existing geysers / fittings can become faulty at any time.

Is my swimming pool installation, my spa and jacuzzi covered by the inspection?

  • It is not the Water Inspector’s responsibility to upgrade the water installation to cater for the connection of these appliances.

What if my Council water meter cannot be found?

  • As the owner, you are then required to notify Council. They will do a GPS search and locate it. No certificate of compliance will be issued until the meter is in place

What does the water certificate cover?

  1. None of the terminal water fittings leak and they are correctly fixed in position.
  2. No stormwater is discharged into the sewerage system.
  3. There is no cross connection between the potable supply and any alternate supply.
  4. The water pipes in the plumbing installation (especially within the roof space) are properly saddled as per SANS 10252.
  5. The private isolating valve as per subsection 23(2) (a) or (b) is in place and functioning.
  6. The geyser is correctly installed and all ancillary parts are correctly positioned over a drip tray.

What is the difference between maintenance and compliance?

  • All issues that do not fall under the water certificate requirements are regarded as maintenance. For example, discolouration of water, water pressure problems, blocked pipes and drains, swimming pool installations, jacuzzis or spas, upgrades to the installation.

How long is the water certificate valid for?

  • The certificate is valid for up until two years, or until any changes are made to the installation and always renewable if the property is transferred to another party.

Do I have to get a Certificate for all new work done?

  • Yes. If you do not your current certificate will not be valid.

What do you mean when you say “regulations have changed”?

  • In Cape Town, the council make amendments or clarifications from time to time to the By-laws and we will normally be notified if there are any changes to be made to the requirements for the Water certificate.

Should I ask DOSS to inspect work undertaken by another contractor for “peace of mind?

  • Yes, if you would like the assurance (before you pay the contractor) that the work is undertaken in a compliant way and if you would like to ultimately save money.

What if my private stop cock is not functioning or cannot be located?

  • As per Section 23 (2) (a) or (b) the unit must be in place and functioning. A fine may be imposed for using the Council stop cock to cut off your water supply.

Does DOSS undertake normal plumbing maintenance?

  • No, we are specialists in the field of compliance work and the issuing of certificates only.

Is this certificate known as a Water certificate or a Plumbing certificate of compliance?

  • It is strictly referred to as a Water Certificate of Compliance, which covers water conservation, and it does not cover the general plumbing installation eg drains, gutters.

What does the ingress of rain water to sewerage mean?

  • Rain water run off cannot be quantified and varies greatly throughout the year. It must therefore be directed away from the sewerage system towards stormwater catchments.

Why must my geyser be accessible on both ends?

  • Geysers and their ancillary components are serviceable items and therefore prone to fail. If the geyser is not accessible, the costs to make it so will fall to the owner and will not be covered by insurance (this includes the removal of roof sheets, tiles, panels and dry walling).



Scroll to top