About Gas Compliance Certificates
What is a Gas Compliance Certificate?
Gas Compliance Certificates are needed to ensure that the gas installation is safe, up to standard and leak-free. Regulation 17(3) of the Pressure Equipment Regulations, as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1993, states that a Gas Certificate of Conformity must be issued when there is a transfer of ownership for a property. This came into effect in October 2009. For a certificate to be issued, the gas installation must comply with the SABS Regulations for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) installations (SANS 10087–1, as amended).
This includes all built-in:
- Gas fireplaces or braais
- Gas stoves
- Gas geysers or hot water systems
How long is a Gas Compliance Certificate valid for?
- A new certificate is required for every transfer; however, a new certificate should be issued with your yearly installation maintenance.
Gas installation compliance checklist:
- No gas leaks.
- No more than 9kg LPG is allowed inside a flat, 19kg LPG inside a house or 100kg LPG outside a free-standing property.
- All rubber components must be replaced every 5 years.
- All regulators must be replaced every 10 years.
- Correctly selected fittings must be used.
- There must be no electrical connections behind the hob and oven.
- Each appliance must have an isolation valve and must be approved by the SABS.
- The hose must not exceed 2m in length and cannot pass through a solid partition.
- The cylinder must be on a firm base (not on sand) and must be:
- 1m away from a door, open window, or boundary wall
- 5m from an electrical point above the valve
- 2m from drains or air-conditioning inlets
- 3m away from a window below
- 5m away from an electrical point below the valve
- A gas geyser must be 1.4m from the ground surface and 1m away from the valve.
What is not covered by a Gas CoC?
- All portable gas braais or gas heaters, do not need a gas certificate of conformity.
Doss are the Western Cape specialists in all 5 compliance inspections, including Gas, rest assured that with us you're in the very best of hands!