Electrical Compliance - Frequently asked questions
Get a better understanding of the electrical compliance certificate and the process of obtaining it by reading through the below questions and answers.
How long is my electrical compliance certificate valid for?
- The physical electrical compliance certificate is valid for two years only for transfer purposes, providing that there has been no changes of any kind to the installation (changing light switches, plugs, etc.)
When do I get my certificate?
- Once payment is settled and all compliance remedial work is done.
Are the lights on my property covered by the certificate?
- DOSS will ensure that there is power to the light and that it is adequately earthed, but globes are excluded and for the owner’s cost.
If I employ other contractors to attend to your recommended repairs, will DOSS re-inspect and issue a certificate?
- No, we do not issue certificates on other contractors’ work, as we have no guarantee of workmanship nor the quality of materials used.
Do you require a deposit before the commencement of remedial work?
- Yes, as we are obliged to pay our suppliers upfront.
What are the measures I can take before you inspect my property?
- Replace all globes and ensure they are in working order.
- Employ a contractor to replace all obviously faulty/broken electrical components such as lights, plugs etc.
- Ensure that the main distribution board is accessible for inspection and that the cover may be safely removed.
- If this is a tenanted property ensure that there is enough electricity in the ED meter for us to conduct the survey.
Must the pool light work for compliance purposes?
- No, as this is a globe (normally a wet niche). However, the transformer that feeds power to the pool light must comply (ie. correctly rated with over-current protection). We suggest that the owner ensures the pool light is working, prior to handing over the property to the purchaser.
See ECASA – Electrical Contractors Association article on Understanding the new Electrical CoC.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.