DOSS offers Electrical Certificate of Compliance


FAQS - Electrical Certificates of Compliance

Get a better understanding of the electrical compliance certificate and the process of obtaining it by reading through the below questions. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

How long is my electrical compliance certificate valid for?

  • The physical electrical compliance certificate is valid for two years only for transfer purposes, providing that there has been no changes of any kind to the installation (changing light switches, plugs, etc.)

When do I get my certificate?

  • Once payment is settled and all compliance remedial work is done.

Are the lights in my property covered by the certificate?

  • DOSS will ensure that there is power to the light and that it is adequately earthed, but globes are excluded and are for the owner's cost.

How long does the inspection take?

  • An estimated 45 minutes to two hours depending on property size.

What is covered by the electrical certificate?

  • The certificate covers the circuits for fixed appliances, but does not cover the actual appliances, for example stoves, geysers, air conditioning and refrigeration plant and lights.

Why do I have to have all this electrical work done, when I lived in the house, quite happily for many years, without incident?

  • It is possible for an installation to function correctly without it being 100 % compliant for example a plug socket outlet may function, but it may not be earthed.

Are all these items on your repair list compliance issues?

  • Yes, we only report on issues that affect the compliance and not maintenance issues, unless maintenance has an impact.

If my pool pump, for example,  does not function after the certificate has been issued, is it my responsibility as the owner to repair?

  • Yes, all appliances are excluded from the Electrical certificate of compliance.

What are the measures I can take before you inspect my property?

  • Replace all globes and ensure they are in working order.
  • Employ a contractor to replace all obviously faulty / broken electrical components such as lights, plugs etc.       
  • Ensure that the main distribution board is accessible for inspection and that the cover may be safely removed.
  • If this is a tenanted property ensure that there is enough electricity in the ED meter for us to conduct the survey.

If I employ other contractors to attend to your recommended repairs, will DOSS re-inspect and issue a certificate?

  • No, we do not issue certificates on other contractors work, as we have no guarantee of workmanship nor the quality of materials used.

Do you require a deposit before the commencement of remedial work?

  • Yes, as we are obliged to pay our suppliers upfront.

Must the pool light work for compliance purposes?

  • No, as this is a globe (normally a wet-niche). However, the transformer that feeds power to the pool light, must comply (ie. correctly rated with over-current protection). We suggest that that the owner ensures the pool light is working, prior to handing over the property to the purchaser.


Book a Compliance Inspection in Cape Town

Scroll to top