There is widespread confusion in the public’s mind when it comes to electrical compliance if a property is to be transferred / sold. What can I do to ensure that I will have minimum costs to pay when I sell?
- Take some time to check all the lights in your property. Ensure that the globes are working and the cups are attached snugly to walls and or ceilings. Lights themselves are excluded from the certificate but if they do not work, they will be listed as faulty. Inspectors do not have the time and nor are you charged for time to unscrew every light bulb to check if this is the problem or if there is a more serious issue ie: earthing, which is a compliance requirement.
- Any plugs which are not working will be noted and will have to be replaced. Safety shutters, burnt sockets etc are all part of the compliance list.
- If you have recently had a satellite dish installed, make sure that the installer has earthed the unit. This is a legal requirement.
- People often overlook the importance of the Distribution Board. Perpetual cleaning with strong chemicals and painting can, over time, remove the legends which denote all the circuits in your board. If you do not have correct display, expect this to be part of your quote of requirements for compliance. Inspectors will also check that your ratings of circuit breakers are correct and if over-rated, will require correction. Your board must be accessible and inspectors will recommend relocation if this is not the case.
- If your property is old, there is a good chance that over the years, the earth leakage unit may have been bypassed to accommodate new additions (plugs etc). This is not compliant and we will recommend that the earth leakage be rewired accordingly. This may well result in tripping as the bypassing was probably done to avoid this in the first place. In most cases it is the design of the installation which is not sufficiently adequate for the load which the household requires. So if this is the case, expect a lot of tripping once the compliance work has been done and your system is brought into line.
- Ensure that any contractors who undertake electrical work at your home for general maintenance or renovations issue you with a Compliance certificate for that work. If our inspectors find fault and it concerns these changes, they will simply note it as additional items on your quote. If you have a certificate, you will have recourse to the previous technicians.
- Do prepare your property for our inspectors by ensuring that they have access to all parts of the property; keys should always be available; rooms packed with boxes to be cleared. We can only inspect that which is visible and require your honesty in not concealing plugs or locked areas where there are plug points.
- Make sure that if your property is tenanted or vacant that there are sufficient units in the Energy Dispensing Meter so that proper surveys and potentially any remedial work may be carried out.
- Deal directly with your Compliance Service company. Estate agents and attorneys are experts in their field, but it is wise to communicate directly with the Inspection company.
- It is recommended that from time to time you have an electrical inspection undertaken to avoid any surprises if and when you have to sell your home and your asset.
11. April, 2022.
Beetle, plumbing and electrical compliance inspection, repairs and issuing of compliance certificates
4. April, 2022.
I sent a email and got such a speedy response, the team booked me an appointment. The guys that came out were friendly and professional and I appreciated the fact that they followed Covid protocols while doing the inspection. I would highly recommend them to anyone. Great service!
29. March, 2022.
Electrical and Water Compliance done very efficiently and professional service given by DOSS. Would highly recommend them.
Gert Petrus Snyman
14. February, 2022.
Excellent work done!!!! Quite satisfied.
21. January, 2022.
The team worked on my gas compliance and electrical compliance. They were efficient, helpful, and kept me up to speed with everything they needed to do. The quality of their work was brilliant. I would highly recommend them
19. January, 2022.
I had a brilliant experience with DDOS ... they are responsive, communicate well and do what they are meant to in a professional and efficient way. Highly recommended.
18. January, 2022.
I can highly recommend DOSS for compliance certificates. Service is prompt and the teams undertaking the necessary repair work were friendly and efficient.
13. January, 2022.
Great prompt service - thank you!